Sunday, May 5, 2013

Job done: Côte d'Ivoire Colonial in the house!

This is a follow-up post on my April 26 "Stalking a good price on the African Tray Man" blog post that just came in from my man on the ground, guest blogger and husband Vince. I am back in the States for a visit and he is still in Joburg, but the blog must go on!

"Taking slight exception to the characterization of my colonial tray carrier as 'tacky,' I implemented the negotiating plan to get the R 5,000 price ($550) to something more reasonable. 

I'd anticipated a longer process of wearing the guy down, using R 2,000 in an envelope (with the subtle message of, '2.000 Rand for a Colonial' written on the front) as a means of mobilizing my man's avarice. I'd visited him twice on the plan, and each time after he rebuffed my offer i walked past him later with something I'd bought. BUT, as I was in the market today looking for a basket for corralling kitchen coffee things, I saw another colonial tucked in one of the stalls. And it was within view of my man's stall.

So, in sight of him I pulled out the now familiar (to him) envelope...but didn't show the inscription to the new guy. And got a price on his colonial: R 3,000, which bargained down immediately to R 2,200. Still too much. Off to my main man who (having watched this so far) said he'd take the R 2,000. I told him that if he'd just given me a reasonable price the first time we'd already have done the deal. He offered R 1,800. Which I immediately took back to my new guy, who offered back R 1,500. 

Final price, R 1,350. And he looks all kinds of awesome in the bathroom. Tacky my a**."
Vince, guest blogger 
P.S. I am so proud!!!!

1 comment: