Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Rhino

Along with a pair of high-powered binoculars which Vince will pick out himself at B&H Photo when he goes to New York next week, we gave him this SA flag "Daddy Rhino" for Father's Day. It is part of the "My Rhino" collection whose purchase supports the fundraising efforts of the Kariega Foundation.

The Kariega Foundation is the anti-poaching fund which was set up after the devastating 2008 poaching incident in Kariega Game Reserve involving three white rhinos including a bull Themba and a young calf named Thandi. Only Thandi survived and only after several operations conducted by Dr. William Fowlds and the impressive staff of Vets Go Wild. I had the opportunity to see Thandi out in the bush in Kariega when I volunteered there last year. In fact it was her story which inspired me to volunteer in the first place.

Each ceramic rhino is made in South Africa and signed by the artist. I bought mine at Mot Mot in Parkhurst but there are a number of retail partners which carry them all over South Africa.

And it looks great on the display shelf in Vince's new apartment in Cape Town. Happy Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment