Friday, July 31, 2015

Capitol Saddlery

When we were in Austin for the weekend, my sons and I stopped by the famous Capitol Saddlery. This was the home of the now deceased bootmaker to the stars, Charlie Dunn. Charlie's clients included Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, Peter Fonda and even Elizabeth Taylor!

His client list even included my husband Vince! In the late 70's, Vince had his feet measured for a custom boot last at the old Capitol Saddlery location on Lavaca and he ordered his first pair of custom cowboy boots made of cow leather.

But after we married, Vince would periodically order more pairs of boots made at Capitol Saddlery using his custom last and incorporating more and more exotic hides. Ostrich, rattlesnake, and ... elephant! I would even buy belt buckles for his Christmas presents and order coordinating belt straps from the leftover hide for his birthday gifts. Yes I even ordered an elephant skin belt for him once.

Now that we live in Africa though, Vince has even admitted he will have a hard time wearing those elephant hide cowboy boots again. I am afraid they may go the way of my ivory jewelry. Out.

the taxidermy shop attached to Capitol Saddlery

No comments:

Post a Comment