Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A dead elephant is a dead elephant

clueless @ a Pink Elephant Party
I have always been a big collector of antique jewelry, most of it made from precious metals, pearls and gems, but also a significant amount made from antique ivory. Like the carved "elephant parade" broach, carved "elephant head" pinkie ring and ivory "pearl" necklace I am wearing in this picture. They are all definitely vintage, mostly Victorian era pieces. I never felt bad about owning them or wearing them. Until now.

I just read an opinion piece in the Trenton (NJ) Times written on July 26 by Andy Dobson which has totally opened my eyes. It was written in response to a prior guest opinion article by Joe Gallagher concerning the new bill introduced by the New Jersey Senate (S2012) and just signed into law by Governor Christie which completely bans trade in ivory in New Jersey, making it the first state in the United States to issue such a strong ban on the market.
 
Joe Gallagher had suggested that a distinction needed to be made in the bill between old ivory and new. In other words, between antique ivory which was acquired and carved before the Endangered Species Act prohibited its trade and the "blood ivory" that is today most definitely poached in the wild.

some carved antique ivory and some tortoise shell jewelry
I once felt the same way as Joe, that there should be a distinction made between old and new ivory. Besides elephant ivory, some of my collection is also made from antique Inuit whale and walrus ivory and some is made from antique tortoise shell. I used to feel that it was okay to buy, own and wear these pieces. After all, I reasoned, I bought them from reputable antique shops and not the black market. The animal was dead long before I was even born and I had nothing to do with it. I even had the approval of the United States government and the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) who said it was okay to buy and possess ivory sourced before the date the African elephant was first listed as endangered in 1973.

a carved ivory pendant and earrings
According to the US Fish &Wildlife Service, "An item that contains African elephant ivory that was removed from the wild prior to February 26, 1976 is considered to be a pre-Convention specimen. This does not mean that the current owner must have purchased or acquired it prior to 1976, but that the item was manufactured from ivory that was taken from the wild prior to 1976." 

So by that definition I would still be covered in terms of being "legally in possession of ivory." None of the ivory jewelry I own was made from an endangered elephant. But am I morally innocent? Andy says "no" and for the first time, I totally agree with him.

A dead elephant is a dead elephant. Trade and possession of ivory of any age or in any form increases the value of elephant products and increases the current demand for more elephants to be killed.

some more antique tortoise shell
In light of the present ivory crisis that has spun completely out of control in Africa, the US Fish & Wildlife Service issued a new directive on February 25, indicating that they are now undertaking a series of administrative actions to implement a nearly complete ban on the commercial elephant ivory trade. Currently that still does not include "possession and non-commercial use of legally acquired ivory" by the way.

Once again, I am not doing anything illegal by owning a 19th century carved ivory locket. But since moving to Africa and seeing first hand the senseless slaughter happening here for a few trinkets, I can no longer feel any joy in it.

some antique whale and walrus ivory from Alaska
I had been hiding behind a hollow legal argument, one that just doesn't hold moral water for me anymore. I look down with disgust upon the guy in Viet Nam or China who buys ivory and rhino horn knowing it was poached from an animal that is losing its fight for survival, but really what's the difference? To the elephant, it is just semantics.

All my antique jewelry is in a safe back in the USA and I cannot do anything about it now, but the next time I return, I promise to take the lead from Chad and other countries that have done so and burn my ivory, tortoise shell and even my whale and walrus ivory. I couldn't wear any of it again knowing what I know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment