Monday, January 19, 2015

African Queen

My neighborhood shopping center is Benmore Gardens. It has a Pick n Pay and a Woolies, a PostNet for my post office box, a DisChem pharmacy for my prescriptions and it has my go-to boutique, African Queen.

The African Queen in question is Nicola Leitch,  a fashionista with a passion for helping others to help themselves.

Growing up in Nigeria and South Africa, Nicola fell in love with the beautiful African crafts in the markets. As a teenager, she made her own clothing and later created a successful fashion label, La Bella. Her clothing has been worn by celebrities, past Miss South Africas and been showcased in the prestigious Mercedes Benz fashion week.

In 2008 she set up African Queen. Her products meld African beauty with international design, creating “functional wearable art”. Each piece is handcrafted and has a unique element – whether it be the beadwork, lining or design. All animal skins are from sustainable farming practices (by-products of the meat industry).


Nicola describes African Queen as "luxury with a conscience.” Nicola has up-skilled over 50 bagmakers and beaders, empowering them to become self-sufficient. Once trained a beader in turn passes on her skill to others in the local community.

They are the source of fabulous handbags and they even customized one for me. I wanted a shoulder strap added to an already existing handbag in the shop and just like that, magic! And every product I buy from African Queen helps support a local community project such as a feeding program for school children.

I love the fashion, jewelry and giftware at African Queen and I really love their social conscious too. Win win.

No comments:

Post a Comment