Monday, January 5, 2015

What to wear when tracking turtles

Continuing with my series on "what to wear ..."

For a night trek to see sea turtles nesting,

1. I wore shorts and a tee shirt. Some of the women wore sundresses and / or bathing suits having come straight from the beach I guess. But since we were staying less than a kilometer from where the beach trek started, we were able to go back to the cabin, shower after the beach and eat dinner before heading back to the trek.

I like cargo shorts for the many pockets to hold all the little things you like to have at your fingertips ... like my pocket Canon camera and tissues.

2. I wore my Gore-tex rain jacket tied around my waist. Of course you can wear it if it starts to sprinkle or if it is windy. But make sure it is breathable as it is hot! Even if it's windy, it is still hot. It is also a great thing to sit on while you wait in the sand for the guide to signal that it is okay for the group to come to observe the nest.

3. I carried a fabric satchel to hold our water bottles but you could use a day pack too.

5. I wore a straw safari hat too. Not for the shade because you are walking at night, but as a place to hold my night vision head lamp. You cannot use your lamp on the beach while trekking and you don't need one if you walk when there is a full moon like we did (the best time to trail turtles.) A lamp comes in handy though for the walk through the thick brush back to the parking lot from the beach. Plus a hat keeps your hair from flying all over the place in the wind.

6. Speaking of walking, I wore closed toe Teva water sandals which I took off and left under a bench at the entrance to the beach. It was dark on the walk back to the car and I didn't want to stub my toe on a rock or a branch in regular flip flops.

7. Don't forget your camera and flash!

8. Finally, wear insect repellent and take your malaria pills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment