Friday, May 29, 2015

House and Leisure

Another House and Leisure Night Market. This time it was housed on the top of the Rosebank Mall parking deck where the weekly Finders Keepers market is held on Sundays.

Spanning two nights (May 28th and 29th this year), House and Leisure is the premier shopping event of the season featuring the most original products made in South Africa.















These were some of our favorites:



Simon and Mary hats. Hats!




I had already bought one of these cool two-toned felt hats at the Factory on Grant in Norwood and I'm glad I did. They sold out their complete stock of them last night! My hat is black and gray but I was hoping to pick up one of their brown and wine colored hats. Oh well, you snooze, you lose.
And VintageZionist. Their jackets are made out of reused retro-80s, 100% leather and they are sooooo soft.

I have an LBJ (a little black jacket) which I bought at The Collective in Kramerville last year and was looking for a brown one. They are so versatile. But alas the pickings were slim here too, this being the second night of the market and all. But I did snatch a calling card and will try to special order one before my next safari.

Cinda sources her beads and stones from all over the world - India, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal and Africa - and crafts them into modern, wearable art.

I have bought several of her pieces before from Amatuli where she is represented and picked up another necklace tonight.

French jacquard linens woven in Cape Town with African designs. I bought three tea towels with different Big Five Safari motifs.

And I usually do not buy anything at these markets that is not exclusively made in South Africa or at least made somewhere in Africa.

But I made an exception for Cork which features a variety of unique products made from natural cork and imported from Portugal. I bought some more jewelry, but they had everything for sale from hats, belts and purses to iPad covers and briefcases, all fabricated from soft and lightweight sustainably raised cork.


And I am pleased to report that the gourmet Bloody Mary has finally arrived in South Africa. I'll drink to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment