Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We will Never Forget

Tomorrow is September 11, the anniversary of one of the most harrowing days I have ever experienced in my life. I will never forget where I was when the planes hit the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, a place where my brother had worked for 15 years on the 104th floor.

I remember watching the daily progress of their construction as I walked to and from school in the late 60's and early 70's. And I will never forget watching the smoke billowing up from them into the sky on that horrible September morning.
The Freedom Tower


My family waited anxiously by the phone to hear if my brother had somehow managed to escape. We waited to hear if my husband, who was somewhere in Washington, DC on business, was safe. Miraculously, my brother was out of the office at a meeting at the World Financial Center across the street from the WTC. And my husband was in a meeting across the street from the Pentagon! Both of them could see what was happening right outside their windows in two different cities. Both were safe.

The 9/11 Memorial


Tomorrow, on the anniversary of 9/11, I have my weekly Bible Study Group in the morning. I will thank God once again for the gift of the safety of my family on that nerve-wracking day. And I will pray for the souls of all who were tragically lost.

The next night I have a cocktail party with the American Society of South Africa. It will feel good to be amongst my compatriots at this time. I will take comfort in it. God bless America.


This is one of the only pictures I have of the Twin Towers. It was taken in May of 2001, just months before 9/11, from the deck on the Queen Elizabeth II. It was a casual photo taken as the ship left the dock for a cruise to nowhere. Who knew?

My 9/11 album on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment