Friday, October 4, 2013

It's Fashion Week SA


I really do not know much about the Fashion scene in Joburg, much less South Africa. I have a confession to make. I haven't bought any clothes since I've been here! None. I brought so many clothes with me from the US - most of which I still haven't even removed from wardrobe boxes in the garage - that I have not had to. And I have yet to take the walking tour of the vibrant Fashion District offered by JoburgPlaces. In fact, the sum total of what I know about the South African fashion scene is zero. Bupkus. Nada.








So when it came to figuring out which runway show I wanted to attend, I was somewhat stymied. I have done a little window shopping walking around 44 Stanley and Market on Main in Maropeng. I really like the clothes I've seen there by Joburg's Black Coffee, but their show was by invitation only and window shopping is low on the priority list for invitations apparently because I never received one.











I did not recognize any of the other names on the roster so I opted to even the playing field and go see the Renault New Talent Search. It was like watching a season of Project Runway in an hour with none of the drama.













The program listed nine semi-finalists which had been even further narrowed down before the show to the five who would walk the runway.









The winner would receive a huge boost in exposure, a sizable cash prize, a Renault to drive for a year, a trip to Berlin Fashion Week and more.









The five finalists were
  • Take Care. structured shapes, very modern, metal and neutral colors.
  • Mej.Lues by Hanrie Lues.  an updated 50's silhouette, white with orange turquoise & green trims.
  • Cutterier by Laz Yani. most African looking. flowing, clinging and draping poly abstract watercolor fabrics.
  • Anmari Honiball. the collection was inspired by "traditional African crafts and the strong primary colors they used", but I saw a strong Asian influence. more  like a homage to the silk kimono. 
  • Erre. French Renaissance meets Spanish flamenco meets Russian Cossack. lacy leather ruffles. *my fave!
The winner? Laz Yani.


No comments:

Post a Comment