Friday, October 24, 2014

Fashion Collaborators

the line outside waiting for Target to open on Missoni Day One
Fashion collaborations. Alexander McQueen and Target. Vera Wang and Kohl's. Versace and H&M. Liberty of London and J. Crew. Marimekko and Banana Republic. I have to admit I was kind of addicted in the US. My wardrobe is literally littered with their offspring.







and me in full metal Missoni by Target @ a MMA members' event

So I was more than excited to hear the news that leading South African designer Anisa Mpungwe of Loin Cloth and Ashes, is launching her limited edition fashion collection for Mr Price on Monday! (Mr. Price is like a South African Target.)







For this collection - her third with Mr Price - Anisa aimed to create a classic brilliantly-styled range both affordable and accessible. She says, “I recently traveled through Africa where I was seduced by the energy of African cities. During my travels, I attended a wedding in Nigeria where I noticed how people embrace colour. They weren’t afraid to be loud and expressive, both vocally and in dress! I also enjoyed how people followed current fashion trends while staying true to their African roots.

“Africans are bold and fearless when it comes to print. This inspired me to create a strong print story with a slightly progressive feel. I love how the prints in this collection clash against each other to create pieces that are interesting and special. I’ve also incorporated geometric shapes, which are a favourite design element of mine. My hope is that a variety of women, slim or full-figured will enjoy wearing this collection as much as I enjoyed designing it. I played with proportions that flatter most figures and considered what a woman would like to show off from the length of her dress to the position of her sleeves. And while the collection is figure-conscious, it’s also playful and relaxed.”

gone girl: about a half an hour after the doors opened @ Target

Let's just hope the feeding frenzy that usually accompanies a major fashion collaboration in the US didn't also make the transition to South Africa.










...




No comments:

Post a Comment