Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My Motiz Quilt

Now that winter's coming, I will be able to really make use of the beautiful quilt Vince bought me for Christmas. He knows how much I love quilts and have been missing being surrounded by them here in South Africa. Dear sweet boy!

But we do not need it for warmth outside of June, July and August, that's for sure. It could come in quite handy though when we're load-shedding this winter - like a quilted silver lining.








I did bring my extra special tee shirt memory quilt with me to South Africa, but out of all the other quilts in my collection in storage back in the US, I have especially been missing our NJ bedroom's all-white wedding ring and pastel and white Victorian fan quilts. Vince bought them both for me for different wedding anniversaries from a quilter near our ski condo in Smugglers' Notch, Vermont. More good memories.






They went everywhere from our first California king size water bed to our later "more mature" queen size ultra-mattress and they graced our bedrooms for more that 30 years!













He purchased my new African quilt from the quilter and batik fabric designer herself at the Sunday Rosebank Finders Keepers Market. Her company is called Motiz Ethnic Wear and Fabric. The quilt does not have a batting layer and it's huge - 245 cm by 230 cm!  It is made up of squares of shweshwe and African batik fabrics with pictures of safari animals and baobabs and rondavels and African crafts. So colorful and beautiful!









Lou & Serge approve!


One thing's for sure. Looks like we are going to have to build an African guest suite in our home wherever we ultimately settle back in the USA to showcase all of our new African treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment