Thursday, April 2, 2015

Galagos

So I bought this pair of sandals a couple of months ago in the big red barn market at the V&A in Cape Town. It's not just a pair of sandals. It's more like a sandal "system." You see, you buy a single pair of soles and you can mix and match any one of a number of straps and decorations to custom-make your sandals.

They are very practical really. Vince is always complaining that I bring too many shoes with me on vacation. I once brought five pairs of shoes for a long weekend in Martha's Vineyard and I bought another pair while I was at it in Edgartown!  Okay, I see his point. With this system, you can pack one set of soles and multiple straps instead of multiple pairs of complete sandals, thereby saving some suitcase space without giving up fashion flexibility. Worth a try.

I bought these bright yellow ropey straps and these red beaded circle pins to go with my soles in Cape Town. They sold the ropes in a variety of colors and there were also a slew of decorative pins I could have chosen. But I had a particular outfit in mind which is why I originally chose yellow and red. I figured I could buy additional straps when I want to change them to go with another outfit in the future.

But did I mention that I bought them in Cape Town? So if I decide at the last minute I want to change the straps to go with something I want to wear in Joburg, I'm screwed. Until now. I just found that African Queen, my go-to shop at the Benmore Shopping Center, also carries Galago sandals and straps. Back in business!



I just bought a new set of leather straps at African Queen which I want to wear this weekend. So it is important that I remember how the salesgirl originally put these ropes on in Cape Town in order for me to do it again when I want to change them back.

Okay, here's how it goes, First she put the rope half way through the toe loop so that the ends were even..

Then she tied a knot right under the loop.

She tied a second knot about two inches down, leaving enough space to pin on the bead decoration pin. Then she put the ends through each side loop.

To wear them, you just tie the ropes around your ankles espadrille-style. You could throw in a couple more knots or tie it up in a bow. Whatever.

My new strap set is all leather. A side strap, a toe strap and an optional front piece. You can mix and match the colors and finishes on these pieces as well. Too many choices! I chose a brown faux ostrich toe strap, a smooth white front piece and a smooth black side strap.

The toe strap uses a button to attach it to the toe loop.


The side strap and the toe strap go through the optional front piece. You just put the side straps through the side loops, ...









... buckle it in the back and I am good to Galago-go-go! Where we going?

No comments:

Post a Comment