Saturday, October 10, 2015

Dinner at Home with Family

Vince and I had a once-in-a-lifetime family dinner last night with Professor Lee Berger and our celebrated ancestor Homo naledi in the Cradle of Humankind. Home.


We started with a gourmet meal at Maropeng Museum's Tumulus Restaurant to celebrate the uniqueness of the find and the wonder of this amazing discovery.

Over dessert, Dr. Berger spoke about how the discovery unfolded and its importance to science. I have heard Dr. Berger speak before on the radio and on television but his enthusiasm is truly exciting to experience in person. It was infectious!

Afterwards, we were led downstairs for a private viewing of the fossils with Dr. Berger, with an explanation of some the puzzling and astonishing features of our distant ancestor.


Dr. Berger opened the floor to questions which added a further dimension to understanding Naledi's place in paleontology and anthropology.

Homo naledi will be returning to the University of the Witwatersrand after October 18 for further study and analysis.

Thank you Maropeng Museum and Dr. Berger for this very special evening at home.

3 comments:

  1. Darlene - I had no idea you had a blog, you seem very familiar from your comments on mine:-) How I would have loved to be there for the dinner with Lee Berger, it sounds like a wonderful and fascinating night. Oh, and I love that you're a fan of Beryl Markham, one of my favorites too (and why I haven't even touched "Circling the Sun" yet, which is all anyone here can talk about, because I somehow don't want to sully Beryl's own writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene - I had no idea you had a blog, you seem very familiar from your comments on mine:-) How I would have loved to be there for the dinner with Lee Berger, it sounds like a wonderful and fascinating night. Oh, and I love that you're a fan of Beryl Markham, one of my favorites too (and why I haven't even touched "Circling the Sun" yet, which is all anyone here can talk about, because I somehow don't want to sully Beryl's own writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was one of the first blogs I looked to when we moved to Johannesburg over three years ago! And yes it was a wonderful night at Maropeng. If you are into archaeology, it is an amazing time to be living in Joburg! We are going back again to visit Naledi on Friday with some visitors from the US. Can't get enough Naledi! I haven't heard of "Circling the Sun". Will have to check it out. Thanks!

      Delete