Wednesday, October 14, 2015

EcoMageddon Week Two Status Report

Jacaranda Taxi photo by Caroline Hopkins
We're halfway through Week Two of the EcoMobility Festival in Sandton. School is back in session. Good news: I haven't really noticed much of a change in traffic volume.

But  to be totally forthcoming I have not tested it during rush hour. Vince is traveling this week in Istanbul and Dubai so I don't have to do the daily commute. But I did drop him off at the Sandton Gautrain station on Sunday which is on the border of the no-go zone. No problems there either. And I did actually go shopping at Sandton City yesterday. Plenty of parking and hardly any traffic. It's working!

But we have guests arriving tomorrow who will be staying in a hotel right smack dab in the middle of the Sandton CBD. I called the hotel to ask how best to navigate the street closings and one-way restrictions to get to the hotel entrance. There is a way, but it will still be interesting getting them to and fro outings and the airport. Needless to say, we won't be doing much actually inside the CBD over the weekend!

putting out cones on Sandton Drive for the rush hour lane restrictions
bringing a little orange into Sandton's purple October


 
  .

I'll tell you one thing though. I think it was brilliant to schedule the EcoMobility Festival during the height of the Jacaranda Bloom. I almost want to sit in traffic and take them all in! Almost.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment