Monday, October 12, 2015

The Profusion of Africa in One Ring

I bought a cabochon-cut Tanzanite stone in Tanzania in August at the Cultural Heritage Center in Arusha. And when I returned home, I brought it to my go-to jewelry artists at Tinsel to have it set.

I thought about a pendant but I already have a pendant from Tinsel. So I decided on a ring instead. But Tanzanite is a soft stone and if it is set in a ring, it must be well-protected from harm or else you risk chips, cracks and absolute destruction. So we decided to have it set in an over-the-top African Safari cocktail ring. It is deep-set and protected by a menagerie of African animals cast in silver.


It is surrounded by an elephant, ...

 a chimpanzee, ...

a leopard, ...
 a lion and a meerkat, ...



 ... and a Cape Buffalo!
















The actual finger ring ...

is a conga line of crocodiles!

Ain't nothing gonna harm that Tanzanite!



 It is the profusion of Africa in one ring!
The artist and designer is Mariet van Zyl and she created a series of similar pieces which portray The Profusion of Africa in One Ring.

one in oxidised silver

and another in gold-plated silver

You can see (and purchase) her work currently on display at the Tinsel Gallery along with other artists' pieces in an exhibition called Precious Obsession.











Except for my precious obsession. To see my ring, you are going to have to invite me over for cocktails!




1 comment:

  1. Great Post. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your blog posts are really very interesting and useful. Hopefully this may also help your readers to do affordable online shopping at tanzanite jewelry design. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete