Sunday, April 21, 2013

First Impressions of Cape Town

getting ready to take the cable car
OK I get it now. Cape Town is a beautiful city. The setting is breathtaking and the climate is superb (or it was when I was there. Joburg is still supposed to have the better overall weather.) Table Mountain, the Company Gardens, the V&A Waterfront, vineyards, beaches, Cape of Good Hope, British and Dutch colonial architecture and wrought iron. Very different vibe from Joburg too. Everything I've seen in Joburg so far is new, skyscrapers, malls, glass and steel. Joburg is the largest man-made forest in the world. I guess that means that before it was planted, there was nothing but high desert. Cape Town was blessed with a natural canopy and the city grew on top of an already verdant landscape.

to Table Mountain top

It is hard not to compare the two cities. And to look for parallels. Cape Town to Joburg. Rio to Sao Paulo or San Francisco to LA. Even Hong Kong to Beijing. Incomparable New York is to New York.









False Bay Yacht Club



I am happy that Vince has alot of business here because it means he will be visiting here often which means I will be visiting here often. In fact he is considering opening an office in Cape Town so we may end up moving here from Joburg eventually. In the meantime there is alot to explore in Cape Town on long weekends and the occasional week.


But I really haven't even scratched the surface yet in Joburg. I have a list of places I want to explore in the city and surrounding areas too The Origins Museum, the Apartheid Museum, Kruger National Park, the Cradle of Humankind, Madikwe, ...










... so I hope we stay there a while!




No comments:

Post a Comment