Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Little Mount Kilimanjaros

Vince wants to buy me a pair of Tanzanite earrings for my birthday in May. Tanzanite is the beautiful blue purple gemstone discovered in the 1960's in the Mererani Hills of northern Tanzania near the city of Arusha and Mount Kilimanjaro, both of which I visited in 1979. The mineral was named Tanzanite by Tiffany & Co. after its sole origin source.

It is a rare gem, much  rarer than diamonds actually, since it is only found in the foothills of Kilimanjaro. In fact Browns, the leading Diamond store in Joburg, says that Tanzanite is 1000 times rarer than a Diamond!

But as opposed to the Diamond which is the world's hardest gemstone, Tanzanite is relatively soft. I am used to this quality in gemstones as my birthstone is the Emerald, another gemstone on the softer side. That is why we settled on earrings instead of a ring. I have several rings with Emeralds, including my original two carat emerald-shaped Emerald engagement ring, and I am always nervous I will damage or lose a stone when I wear them. Earrings are much, much safer!

Like Diamonds, Tanzanite is priced according to its color, cut, carat size and clarity. I will let Vince choose the color, carat size and clarity, but I will choose the cut. I am leaning towards the trillium cut which is triangular in shape. They remind me of little Mount Kilimanjaros!

PS Vince bought my tanzanite earrings at Bryllianta right in the heart of Sandton.  This is an appointment-only destination for your discreet diamond and tanzanite education and purchases. Bryllianta is a plush, private and secure jewel boutique offering personalised service and drop-dead gorgeous views of Sandton while you shop. Owner Bryna's many years of experience will ensure that you understand the quality and value of the stones before you make your purchase.

Email bryna@bryllianta.com or call +27 (0) 82 441 2121

2 comments: