Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kariega Journal: Living in the Reserve

I just got back from my two week stint volunteering at the Kariega Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape. It was an incredible experience. I have so many field notes and journal entries that I will try to transform into some blog posts.

First, our digs:


driving to the volunteer house in Kariega West.


we have a fence around the house to keep out the lions and leopards!


the house and boma














the pool. we never really used it but I am sure it is appreciated in the summer.


the living room / media room / library












I shared this en-suite bathroom with my two roomates. It had a huge tub. So happy!














we drank and cooked with filtered rain water

















fires every night in the dining room were a must!
















the treehouse














where we could watch the monkeys and warthogs, impalas and birds, completely unobserved.











a leopard's eye view!

cooking pizzas


game room / dining room / conference room

No comments:

Post a Comment