Saturday, January 25, 2014

Happy birthday Robbie Burns!

As my first full year in South Africa toddles on I realize more and more that I am a slave to the calendar. It can't be the seasonal cues - we are upside down here. It is the middle of summer in South Africa and it feels it too. It can't be the advertising. It is minimal. It has to be my inner calendar which pops up reminders of things I need to do as the months progress. Make a dinner reservation. Book a trip. Buy a new dress.
 
For instance my internal calendar has reminded me that Burns Night is January 25. Burns Night, a Scottish holiday which commemorates the birth of one of Scotland's greatest poets, is nevertheless celebrated all over the world. From Jamaica to Perth. My favorite one that I've heard about is the Toddish McWong's Robbie Burns Chinese New Year Dinner in Vancouver. It's like two for the price of one. (Ah yes, Chinese New Year is coming up too!)

And with the strong British connection in South Africa, you can bet there are a few celebrations planned here in Joburg as well. If you feel a need to celebrate, you need look no further than the nearest golf club. They are sure to plan a Burns Night supper. Or the local Caledonian or Scottish Society. My Expat Meet-up Group is even planning a black-tie charity event at Gold Reef City later in February with a Burns Night theme complete with haggis and bagpipes.

But one of my goals when moving to South Africa was to break free of the traditional chains that bound me in America, remember? Shed some of the obligations on my internal calendar, not carry them forward into my new life. Make room for new South African holidays and traditions.

So while I may have been compelled to celebrate Robbie Burns' birthday back in New York and New Jersey by going to a Burns Night supper somewhere, I will instead stay home and just reminisce a little via photographs. Okay, with a dram of whiskey by my side. C'mon!

Edinburgh
I have been to Scotland several times but never for Burns Night. (Who travels to Scotland at the end of January on purpose? Brrrr!) But I have celebrated in New York which at times can feel as cold as Scotland in January. At some formal places with a banquet at the Grolier Club and some informal places with just a dram and a toast after work at the Campbell Apartments in Grand Central Station.

But the best celebration I ever attended was in the wee village of Kearny, NJ close to where I was born. Kearny once had a huge population of Scotsmen who had come over to America to work in the local clothing mills. The demographics in Kearny have changed over the years but there is still one great restaurant which keeps the Burns Night tradition alive, The Argyle.



The Argyle holds a series of Burns Night suppers in January to accommodate all who want to celebrate.












There are bagpipes of course,

















spirited highland dancing,












the piping in  ...


and toasting of the haggis,

















and a toast to the lassies.















Vince pours some more for each toast. Be careful ... there are many of them!



Is this vegetarian haggis?

















Happy birthday Robbie Burns ... from Johannesburg!


No comments:

Post a Comment