Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January is the new "Back to School"

waiting for the Pingry bus for Nick's 1st day
Most of the world recognizes January 1 as the first day of the new year, but for me the new year always started on the first day back to school. A real new year with new possibilities, new friends to meet, new things to learn and try. Much more exciting than just a day on the calendar. This always created an internal conflict for me. To think I had to move to South Africa to finally get some convergence of the two!

Today is the first day of the new school year in South Africa. Makes sense, right? The South African summer vacation has just ended here. For most of the USA though, the first day of school is in September right after Labor Day, the official end of the American summer vacation.
my brother Bob's 1st day of kindergarten

To this day I still get the Pavlovian urge to go out and buy and sharpen new pencils in September. I can still distinctly remember the feeling of toe shock after putting on my St. Michael's saddle shoes after a barefoot summer of sandals and flip flops at the shore.

I have to admit seeing the "back to school" specials advertised in the newspapers and the kids walking to school in their uniforms, I got that old nostalgic feeling again. I am not a big one for New Year's resolutions but I am a huge fan of learning something new every day.

I think to celebrate the new year, I will sign up for that Zulu class today!

No comments:

Post a Comment