Monday, January 20, 2014

Work and Blog? Can I do both?

first day of work selfie!
I started my new job today at African Parks. As much as blogging has been a blast and a tremendous tool in helping me to make my transition to living in South Africa, I do not think I can work and blog at the same time - certainly not at the same rate anyway. Unless of course I blog about my work. Which I might do from time to time. Like when CNN does a series of reports on the poaching situation in the Congo and features one of African Parks' preserves. Spread the word!

This has always been the essence of  my conflict with the idea of blogging. I can only spend so much time in front of the computer. So you may notice my blog posts begin to dwindle over the next few days ... weeks ... and months. It doesn't mean I'm in hospital in traction unable to reach the keyboard or at home ... all alone ... in my room ... doing nothing.

It means I can either live or I can write about living, but I can't do both well! Blogging takes a crazy-ass amount of spare time and I will be too busy living when I am not working in my spare time. Just like blogging essentially put a serious kabosh on my Facebook time, work will most likely supersede my blogging time for a while too. Maybe I will get my groove back someday and do it all, but I am just warning you. Not bloody likely.

Besides, my intention with this blog has always been two-fold. To help me to process my move to South Africa and to give me something to do in my spare time until I firmly establish a life here. I figured it would take a year. I think I have accomplished both in record time.

My sister is ecstatic about this turn of events because she thinks it means I will stop quizzing her about my blog posts all the time when we Face Time. "Clearly you did not read my latest blog post ...?" But I will miss replying to the continuous questions via email, "What's new? What are you up to in Africa" with "Too much to put in an email. Read my blog if you want to know what I've been up to!"

Suffice it to say, I'll be living and working in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment