Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Great Midsummer Butterfly Migration

Every midsummer the Brown-veined White Butterfly, Belenois aurota aurota, migrates in a northeasterly direction across South Africa to Madagascar like an out of place snow shower. It is happening right now at Valley Lodge, all over Sandton and I have to imagine all across the country. It is beautiful!

Depending on the amount of rain, the migration can happen anytime between December and February in Joburg and it only lasts a little more than a day! Talk about ephemeral! I am so glad we were here to see it.

Vince and I were going to try to capture it on film, but then I found this YouTube video by Irwin Juckes which he made in December of 2012 that captures it perfectly. I don't think I could do a better job! Enjoy a moment of zen:

No comments:

Post a Comment