Friday, June 5, 2015

Smelt

all photos of me by Marguerite Slavik

Another fun and creative outing in Joburg. This time, glass blowing and casting paperweights at Smelt located in The Factory on Grant in Norwood.

We had a choice between glass blowing or casting our paperweight. I chose ... both!
















trying on the tools of the trade

Safety is numero uno at Smelt with amateurs like me. Only one person at a time could be in the glass-blowing zone. So after an overview of safety precautions and a description of the process, we each took a turn in the hot seat. Our workshop leaders Mike and Thabiso did all the heavy lifting. I just did what I was told. It's safer that way!












rolling the molten glass in the cobalt glass glitter
shaping the round paperweight
In between, those of us who opted to sand cast a paperweight created our form into which the molten glass was poured. We could add decorations such as colored glass rods, colored glass glitter, and copper cut-outs or wire.

the sand mold ...
... is filled with the molten glass
 The next day ...
... they were done.
hot out of the oven
our sand cast paperweights ready for pick up
Mandela's Gold

My sand cast paperweight with five slender glass rods captured inside. (Credit goes to Marguerite for the idea of using the colors of the South African flag in her paperweight.) Some people thought it looked like a bird-of-paradise. I can see it. In that case I will call it Mandela's Gold, a special bird-of-paradise cultivated by Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, which coincidentally also has the colors of the South African Flag..
The Sardine Run







I am calling this paperweight The Sardine Run. Not because it was my inspiration before making it, but because that was my first thought when I saw it coming out of the kiln. It looked like a bait ball of sardines to me. It will make a perfect Father's Day present for Vince who will be spending Father's Day weekend diving in the Sardine Run!






 



This was a private workshop but Smelt offers weekly workshops on Saturdays and Sundays which are open to the general public. Just sign up.

Smelt also has art glass pieces, vases and plates crafted by professional glass artists on display and for sale and they will gladly take commissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment