Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Elephant & Giraffe Hair Jewelry

vintage giraffe hair earrings
Along with a treasure trove of vintage ivory and tortoise shell jewelry - which I plan to destroy once I return to the US and therefore will never wear again - I also collect elephant and giraffe hair jewelry. Purchased from a reputable dealer, I do not believe either animal is harmed in any way in order to make jewelry from their tail hair so I feel it is still okay for me to buy and own it. Gosh I hope so anyway!

I bought my first elephant hair bracelets in Africa in 1979 and I wore them for years. Later I collected antique Victorian pieces made with both giraffe and elephant hair that have stood the test of time. Like these 9K gold earrings which I bought at the Chelsea Antique Market in NY - probably made here in South Africa - with giraffe hair inserts and rock art cut-outs of Bushman hunters stalking giraffes.
vintage elephant hair jewelry

Or these Victorian elephant hair and gold bangles and a matching ring which I bought in an antique shop in London. 

contemporary elephant and giraffe hair jewelry
Since moving to South Africa, I have added to my vintage collection with several newer pieces. Like these simple woven elephant and giraffe hair bracelets purchased from the African Craft Market and my elephant hair bracelets and earrings set in silver from jewelry shops in Cape Town. 

an all silver version
People here believe that elephant hair bracelets bring them luck. They also think that whoever wears this kind of bracelet will be blessed with health, love, prosperity and progress.
The legend of African hair bracelet dates back to between 1200 and 1500 years ago where it was believed that people who wore this hair bracelet were protected against misfortunes, harm, and illnesses. People in Africa believe that an elephant is the connecting factor between heaven and earth.


The elephant hair bracelet usually has either two or four knots. The two knots of an elephant hair bracelet represent the balance between nature and earth. The knots of the four knot elephant hair bracelet signifies the four elements of nature, namely fire, sun, water, and wind. The four strands of elephant hairs which pass through the knots symbolize the seasons of a year.

The movements from the knots along the cord shows the forces involving nature and represents continual evolution. As a result, it is believed that the movement helps bring strength, good luck, and fortune to the actual wearer.

Whatever. I just think they are lovely!

1 comment:

  1. Hi admin
    I read your blog, its really awesome, I love it.
    I have additionally this related website.
    In this book, Richard Moss defines the nature of human suffering by the unawareness of our authentic and true essence, which can only be recognized in the "Now".
    mandala elephant

    Best Regards
    Erma

    ReplyDelete