Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cinema Noveau

Saw my first movie in Johannesburg this weekend, Terence Malick's To the Wonder at one of the city's art house cinemas, Cinema Noveau in Rosebank. So happy to have it nearby when I get an occasional desire to go out to see a movie. (We finally got our Netflix and Itunes up and running too.) Cinema Noveau will have some big (NYC) shoes to fill though!
Bryant Park

Getting first crack at the world's obscure and offbeat independent and foreign films and singular viewings of classics and silents on the big screen was one of the greatest things about NYC. The shear breadth and scope of movies all showing at the same time and especially during the day when I loved to see them. Truly mind-boggling.

International and genre film festivals. Classic movies on the lawn in Bryant Park. Tiny museum theaters at MOMA, Museo del Barrio, the Paley Center. Alliance Francaise. Not to mention the yearly TriBeCa Film Festival

Luckily being the first in line to see the new Woody Allen movie or the latest Merchant Ivory film stopped being a priority to me a long time ago. But it does bring me back to the dream time and puts me fondly in mind of my favorite old cinematic haunts. So ...

Time for some shout-outs to my favorite New York movie houses:
Angelika - best cafe for a cappuccino apres and I love that you can hear the subway rumble below during the movie!
Film Forum - best if you're a member; for classics, silents and never-saw-but-always-wanted-to's, French New Wave
Film Society of Lincoln Center - for culture themes
Lincoln Plaza  - foreign fave
Maysles Center - artsy documentaries
Quad and the IFC - downtown alternatives to the Lincoln Plaza
St Marks (RIP) - miss you!
Landmark Sunshine Theater - the best popcorn
Paris - I would literally live there if they'd have me. The most comfortable seats in the world!
The Ziegfeld Theater - a real movie palace; I saw Scorsese's The Last Waltz there in 1978 and again in 2002, both times with Vince.
The Waverley (RIP) - saw my first Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight with Vince in 1978; it still plays at the Clearview FYI but I am too old now to stay up that late for a movie and anyway I have it on DVD for my annual Halloween watching
Radio City Music Hall - Art Deco awesomeness! I once made Vince sit for 4 hours (we had a break for dinner) to see the newly re-released and restored 1927 Abel Gance chef d'oeuvre Napoleon in 1981! Oh yeah, it was a silent film too and Carmine Coppola and his orchestra accompanied! He loved it!
AMC IMAX - way back when I did events for Waterkeeper Alliance, I helped launch the NY film premiere there of Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk with RFK Jr. and my anthropologist idol Wade Davis. The Dave Matthews Band performed!
@ the Empire Diner (RIP) before Dr. Zhivago @ TFF

And okay NJ, some love for you too ...
Roberts Chatham - old faithful with Sheila
Montclair's Claridge and Bellevue - date nights with Marilyn
Madison Cinema
Montgomery Cinema
Red Bank Theater
Edison for Bollywood

And I left my heart in San Fran at the ...
Embarcadero Center
The Clay (you have not seen Pink Flamingos until you've seen it here!)
Red Vic - hippie Height Ashbury
Castro - it has a super old Wurlitzer that rises up!

Sundance Film Festival!


And nearby Berkeley ...
The Shattuck-  downtown classic

And Oakland...
The Piedmont - West Coast Art Deco deliciousness

You too Denver ...
Mayan

Wicked Boston ..
Coolidge Corner near BC

And even DC ..
E Street Theater and the West End

Just read about outdoor movies being shown on the roof at the Neighbourgoods Market in downtown Braamie too. Being shown by the Air Cinema Club, a ticket not only provides access to the film but also a large bean bag to sit upon and a serving of popcorn. A DJ plays at the start of the evening to set the mood, and there's a cash bar and select food. Each monthly event is custom-designed to suit the genre / type of film being shown. Will have to check it out.

And I also have high hopes for the First Wednesday Film Club. Just like the Air Cinema Club, each First Wednesday event has a theme for the evening that carries through to the film chosen, food served, entertainment and special guests. According to the club's description on its website, "We feature films for exposure and feedback at these monthly gatherings, held on the First Wednesday of Every Month.” I will have a chance to check it out this Wednesday when I am going to see the documentary Venus & Serena. I tried to see it at Sundance last year where it was highly anticipated and therefore also highly sold out.

Pass the popcorn Joburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment