Saturday, June 15, 2013

There's Hellmann's at the Checkers!

That was the battle cry that resulted in my driving clear across town to the Checkers supermarket on Bram Fischer last Tuesday to stock up on Hellmann's real mayonnaise. Vince heard it at work from a fellow expat and called me immediately. I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise not butter and they just do not taste the same with the South African mayonnaise!

It is so odd how certain tastes just cannot be replaced, even with healthier alternatives. Philadelphia cream cheese, Hershey chocolate bars, Jet-puffed marshmallows and Honey Maid graham crackers. I tried to duplicate my s'mores over a braai with the local brands (there is no graham cracker however. none.) Just does not make it.

It is better now than it was when I was in college, when study and travel abroad meant doing so without proper popcorn, peanut butter and grape jelly (not jam), not to mention real (Wonder) white bread. For months. My college comfort foods.

I brought my sister a suitcase full of Kraft macaroni 'n cheese when I visited her during her junior year in Paris once. Her French family are probably still in shock over her occasional preference for the boxed kind over their homemade gratin de macaronis! Not all the time but just sometimes when you need a little nostalgia in your tummy. I stopped short of Land o' Lakes American cheese slices though. I did not want to totally destroy the remaining shred of franco-american relations in her house!

Vince is back in the US now spending Father's Day weekend with our sons before some meetings in New York next week. He is bringing me back Hershey's chocolate bars, Nabisco graham crackers, and Jet-puffed marshmallows. Bring out the best.

PS HF'sD to all the great fathers, especially my husband Vince, my brother Bob, brothers-in-law Richard, Ken and Mike! And God bless my Dad M. John and my father-in-law Ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment