Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Ghana Grip

Vince came back from this last trip to Ghana and Nigeria with a nasty flu. (I don't even want to think about it!) It is apparently going around here too because all the neighbors have been talking about it. It starts in the head with some serious post-nasal drip and quickly escalates into an upper respiratory virus and accompanying cough. He is mostly over it now except for a little sinusitis that just will not subside. I'm calling it the Ghana Grip.

No one in New Jersey is a stranger to sinus problems or allergies, least of all us, so I knew just what to get. I ran out to the DisChem, the local Rite-Aid / CVS / Drug Fair, and bought our old stand-by Sudafed Sinus. The formula allowed by the Federal Drug Administration here must be different or else the makers of Sudafed might export a different formula because it did not work like the magic I remember. It reduced the sinus swelling and headache, but did little to decongest poor Vince.

Our neighbor Daphne told me to get some muti instead. Muti? Muti is homeopathic or "traditional" medicine which along with vitamins actually has its own huge aisle in DisChem. I got him some Kali Mur which is a decongestant and as a backup I bought a combination muti for coughs and colds.

Hope it works because my next stop is Mama Fina and her black magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment