Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ostrich Feather Dusters and Straw Brooms

Apparently you cannot say you live in South Africa until own a real ostrich feather duster and a straw broom handmade by one of the locals and sold at the market or on the roadside. Or so I was told by one of my neighbors as she presented me with both as a housewarming gift yesterday. I guess it is like the French and their rooster in the kitchen superstition. Every official French kitchen must have one. It brings good luck.

Coincidentally Vince had been admiring them anyway for sale at the Bryanston Organic Market and had been very, very close to buying one or both on a number of occasions. Luckily I held him off from actually completing the transaction. I think they have better mojo when they are a gift rather than purchased yourself. That's what the locals tell me anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I think they have better mojo when they are a gift rather than purchased yourself. That's what the locals tell me anyway. feather rental

    ReplyDelete