Thursday, June 20, 2013

International Shipping. What a Custom!

Oy.

My international shipment arrived in Durban yesterday (the high winds delayed it for a couple of days I am told). We shipped very little from the USA. Clothes and some kitchen stuff. A couple of computer monitors. Some DVDs. That's it I think. I can't remember; it has been so long. After it arrived in Durban it went through Customs there, passed inspection and we are waiting for it to be put on a truck or a railroad freight car to be delivered to our receiving company in Joburg who will then deliver it to my door at Valley Lodge.

Oy. Such a process!

I hired a shipping company in NJ practically without a reference. I got quotes from three companies which I found on the internet and went with the middle estimate. That is the way I usually hire contractors. Why spend top dollar and you eventually pay with the cheapest quote. So I went with the middle quote. Prisma Cargo.

Eric and Peter were very nice on the phone, answering all my questions and making me feel at ease. The movers arrived and packed my stuff when they said they would, were courteous and careful. They gave me tracking information so I could follow the cargo ship on its journey from Newark to Durban and they made the contact for me with the receiving company, Pickfords in Midrand.

Norman and Wanda, or "Norma" as I called the team, contacted me from Pickfords. They went through the best and worst case scenarios and suggested I do a pre-certification at the South African Customs and Border Management Office in Alberton.

I went to the SARS office with my lap top, my kindle and some magazines, thinking I would be in for the day. Amazingly I was in and out in less than an hour!

Dropped in on Norma in Midrand to sign some papers authorizing them to receive my shipment in Durban, handed them the now approved Customs paperwork in triplicate.

More waiting, this time for the call from Norma telling me that my shipment was in port.

Got the call. The Customs pre-approval was worth the drive to Alberton. My cargo was approved by Customs in Durban on the 19th as Norma said it would be. The Pickfords agent at the port acted on our behalf. All that remains now is to wait for my cargo to be delivered to Joburg!

What could possibly go wrong?

1 comment:

  1. Nice and simple blog! GallopShipping has truly proven itself as a reliable and efficient partner for international shipping. My recent experience with their services left me thoroughly impressed. I highly recommend GallopShipping for a stress-free and dependable international shipping experience.

    For more details ; https://www.gallopshippingsaudi.com/about

    ReplyDelete