Saturday, July 13, 2013

Rooibos

Rooibos is a South African indigenous plant grown only in the Western Cape. They have tried to grow it in similar climates and elevations elsewhere in the world, but apparently so far all efforts have failed. Made from the Aspalanthus linearis bush which grows on the slopes of the Cederberg mountains, rooibos is one of South Africa's best export products.

And here's why. Rooibos tea (also known as red bush tea) is an excellent source of antioxidents. It's packed with health-boosting polyphenols and contains a unique antioxidant called aspalathin. There are all kinds of studies linking it to a range of health benefits from anti-allergy remedies to cancer prevention to liver protection. Not surprising since historically it was traditionally brewed by the Khoi people of the Cederberg mountains who also believed that it had health benefits.

I discovered rooibos for myself in a Teavana tea shop/tearoom in San Francisco a few years ago. I have always enjoyed drinking afternoon tea but usually favored black teas such as Darjeeling and Earl Grey. At Teavana I tasted a combination of jasmine pearl with rooibos and loved it. It is refreshing and reinvigorating even without the caffeine.

Besides tea, rooibos shows up in everything in South Africa. Aromatherapy candles, bath crystals, body lotions, shampoos and soaps. I do like the smell. It is very subtle and seems to enhance rather than overpower.

I still drink my coffee in the morning but now I like to have my rooibos in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment