Thursday, December 12, 2013

Antique Ndebele beadwork


I have been informally collecting Ndebele bead work. I love the colors and the shapes.









Look at these wall paintings. I think these people invented color blocking!














I have bought a wedding blanket and a few necklaces and bracelets. Most of the pieces are new, ones I have found at markets and shops that cater to tourists.









Until now.


I met Ian Ball at the Sandton Craft Market who sells vintage Ndebele pieces which have been worn for wedding ceremonies and other traditional gatherings. 





I am in big trouble.




They are really unique and so special.



These aprons would make great wall hangings.




So would these.


his "card", a piece of leather with his phone number on it



I repeat, I am in big trouble.










Ian is located in the Sandton Craft Market behind the Sandton Library in Nelson Mandela Square. The Market is open every day. His stall is in the shop area (as opposed to the hall of craft stalls). He is not there every day so if you want to know the provenance on any of the pieces, give him a shout to make sure he will be there:

ian ball
0824445008
ian56388@gmail.com



PS I did add to my collection with this vintage Ndebele child's apron and a new bride's wedding necklace!

No comments:

Post a Comment