Thursday, December 5, 2013

It is a ZOO at ARTS on MAIN

zoo [zuː] n pl zoos: A place, activity, or group marked by chaos, strange, or unrestrained behaviour.

This group exhibition gathers together a group of established and emerging artists whose artwork relates in theme/manner/medium to Lauren Beukes’ Arthur C Clarke award-winning novel, Zoo City (2011).

I am anxious to check this exhibition out. I read the book Zoo City a few months ago. It was introduced to me by a member of my South African book club, the Bookworms. The author Lauren Buekes is a former student of Una, one of the Bookworms, and she recommended it to the group.

I really enjoyed the book in spite of the fact that it is science fiction - no longer one of my favorite genres - and is a crime novel. Ditto on that genre as well. It is set in Joburg in the future. The vibe was kind of like a cross between Blade Runner, The Postman, The Fifth Element and Mad Max. I cannot say I totally understood everything about the details of the plot. Some of it was a bit too "inside" for me. But there were enough Jozi references in it to keep me engaged and Lauren's writing is absolutely superb. I think when I reviewed it at book club I said that I had never equally hated a book and loved a book at the same time before Zoo City. That was true. It is gritty and gruesome and graphic and yet I could not put it down.

Maybe artistic interpretation through this exhibition will serve to illuminate some of the pieces I missed in the book.  Hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment