Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Dave Matthews comes home to Jozi

Well, it was epic. Dave Matthews performing in Johannesburg for the very first time. He admitted to being quite nervous at the prospect of appearing on stage for this homecoming concert. It was sweet!

Opening for Dave was Vusi Mahlasela. Vince was at least excited by that! Then Vusi joined Dave on stage for Everyday. And I was excited by that. Here is Dave and Vusi playing together: Dave Matthews and Vusi Mahlasela

Then a real surprise. Dave introduced legendary trumpeter and fellow South African native Hugh Masekela on stage. They performed a couple of songs including Hugh's Grazing in the Grass. Now Vince was (almost) really excited I had invited him to insisted he come with me.




We had some American expat friends who were there too but they were sitting in a different section (the good seats) and security kept us apart. But we ran into other American expat friends in the cheap seats / late purchase section! (I notice I've started running into people that I actually know here in Joburg as I am out and about town. It's cool. I guess it means that I may have finally arrived.)






I had to buy a tee shirt. I had to. It had a rhino on it. My hands were tied.

















And, oh yeah, the first encore song was: Sugar Man! The crowd went wild.

Welcome home Dave!

No comments:

Post a Comment