Friday, December 27, 2013

Tambuti's Spotted Eagle Owls

When I was in high school I needlepointed an image of an owl which I subsequently framed. It was probably the easiest kit available at the shop at the time and I was just starting out.

But this fluke decision must have sent a signal like an APB to friends and relatives far and wide. The next thing I knew, I started receiving owl motif presents as souvenirs from people's travels, as birthday presents and as gag gifts. Bookends, jewelry, statues, paintings. They would all say, "oh I noticed you like owls" or "I saw that you collect owls so I bought you this." And although I wanted to say, "No, not especially," I didn't want to be rude so I found myself saying instead, "Yes. Yes, I do. Thank you so much." The gifting kind of died a natural death as owls in the 80's stopped being the rage they were in the 70's, but by that point I had amassed quite a collection of them which I moved with me from house to house.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago in the autumn of 2011. My niece Jill came to visit me in New York from Boston where she was going to college. As we were shopping for clothes at the newly opened Joe Fresh in Union Square, Jill pointed out an owl-patterned tee shirt on a rack. "You should get that," she said. "My mom told me you like owls."

I hadn't really noticed but owls had made a comeback while I wasn't looking. Maybe it was Harry Potter or maybe the hard-to-fathom 70's revival. They were suddenly hip again and they had showed up everywhere. But I didn't want to acquire another flock! So I came clean. "Your mother is wrong! I do not collect owls. I never really did."




But you know what? I was oddly attracted to it. It was a cute tee shirt. And owls are pretty cool. This snow owl was the centerpiece for the Bergdorf Goodman Christmas windows display right after Jill's visit in 2011.












And I had just bought these new Warby Parker eyeglass frames that kinda made me look like a snowy owl when I wore them. What the heck. So I bought it!










And now I must admit, I am kinda happy I have my old 70's owl collection. It reminds me of a wonderful time in my life and not to mention, it provides endless opportunities for gag gifts from my family and friends, ... and in this case, as a muse for my very own Christmas decorating that year.







And as a matter of fact Tambuti Lodge, where we recently stayed in Pilanesberg National Park, reminded me once again of my owl collection. They collect owls too. Granted, they are rescue owls and they are alive, but it's a collection nonetheless.



They are part of an owl breeding program the Lodge is initiating. They give injured and abandoned owls an opportunity to live in comfort and safety in their natural environment. And the hope is for them to successfully breed and increase the population of spotted eagle owls in Pilanesberg.












As it happens I had brought that same Joe Fresh owl tee shirt with me on safari. What a coincidence! I checked Tambuti's owls out and I have to admit, they had me at "Whoo!"



No comments:

Post a Comment