Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Wreaths

Emely Van Heesch-Smith is a very talented floral designer. All year long she runs a boutique florist from her home studio in Parktown North providing floral arrangement for private and corporate clients and functions.

During the Christmas season, she also makes beautiful wreaths, mostly from natural materials such as vines and seed pods, driftwood and shells. I saw her first at the Bryanston Organic Market where she has a stall on Thursdays and Saturdays and during the Tuesday Night Markets. But while I admire her work and frequently stopped in to peruse her stall, I was not shopping for a wreath made of natural material. I was looking for one made of wire and beads.

Finally I confided my problem to her and she said, "Oh I have some at my studio that I have made of wire and beads." Bingo!



Emely in her studio.




I knew I liked her style immediately when I saw the "Christmas tree" she had set up in her kitchen. I used a French wine bottle drier last year as a Christmas tree. She hung hers with ornaments crafted by her children. I decorated mine with 250+ green wine bottles.


She set these tabletop wreaths outside to allow the roses and other natural materials time to dry.



It was decorated with branches of the exotic ilex berry. One man's exotic is another's common shrub. Heh, New Jersey?










I added white lights ...

...and South African ladybug keychains to my wreath. Ladybugs are good luck talismans for the New Year and I will give these as favors for the ladies' Christmas lunch I am hosting on Friday.









Our 2013 Christmas wreath decorating our front door.

Emely can be found at the Bryanston Organic Market until Christmas and can otherwise be reached at emely.vhs@mweb.co.za or 078 284 3251.

No comments:

Post a Comment