Sunday, December 8, 2013

Mourning Madiba


So it seems that I find myself in the middle of a very historic time in South Africa, a country rich with many historic moments.Nelson Mandela has passed away at the age of 95.






He had been quite sick for some time and indeed, everyone had been speculating about his health and imminent death since before his birthday last July. 95 is an incredible age really, considering the conditions his body endured for so many years in prison, while living in poverty in Soweto and as an outlaw on the run. May he rest in peace.



Since we moved here a year ago, I have been trying to learn as much as I could about South African history. From everyone's point of view. The most compelling story for me has of course been that of Nelson Mandela and the freedom struggle of the black South Africans.







We have visited many of the sights and museums associated with the struggle and his life, such as the Apartheid Museum, Lilieslief Farm and his home in Soweto. I have read several books and have watched a few of the many movies about him. And I have celebrated his legacy on Mandela Day. They have all been a huge help to me in trying to understand his place in the story of South Africa and the world.








early Friday morning. I am sure it is covered by now.




I did go to Mandela Square the morning after he died, right after I heard the news of his passing in order to lay flowers at the foot of his dancing statue in the square. It has become one of a number of impromptu Mandela memorial spots in Joburg along with his former home in Soweto, his last home in Houghton and the boxing Mandela statue in the CBD.




Tribute book in the reflection garden

During these ten days of national mourning there are several events which are open to the public. Today was a national day of prayer. President Zuma attended a service at Bryanston Methodist Church and reiterated the call to all to "go to stadiums, halls, churches, temples or synagogues to celebrate the life of Madiba and through him, that of all other South Africans who sacrificed so much so that we could be free from apartheid colonialism, all of us, black and white."  We prayed along with the rest of South Africa for the soul of Nelson Mandela and the nation at Mass this morning and left a personal tribute in a book set in the Church's reflection garden.




This afternoon Vince and I are going to see the movie Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom with  my movie meet-up group. I am sure there will not be a dry eye in the house.

I am considering going to some of the public events planned for the remainder of the mourning period. There is a memorial service planned at the FNB Stadium in Soweto on Tuesday. Afterwards, his body will lie in state from Wednesday until Friday in the Union Buildings in Pretoria. There will be a public procession through the streets of Pretoria on each day that Mandela's remains are transported from 1 Military Hospital to the Union Buildings. Can't decide if I will take advantage of any of these opportunities. The funeral is in his birthplace Qunu next weekend. It is a private affair for family and invited guests only, not that I would go anyway.

American Consulate in Sandton



My sister and I actually saw Nelson Mandela once in New York when his motorcade made its way down First Avenue on the way to the United Nations. The NYPD closed off the street to traffic while we were walking and we watched as a series of limousines sporting South African flags came towards us. Mr. Mandela waved right at us and we could see him smiling inside the limousine. That was a pretty satisfying personal moment and may be the best image to keep in my mind as I remember him this week.

1 comment:

  1. Special moments, he left a big legacy in our hearts :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Regards,

    www.agirlinafrica.com

    Diana

    ReplyDelete