Saturday, November 2, 2013

South Africa and Joburg are media darlings

I am back on African soil. But Joburg was neither out of sight nor out of mind while I was out of Africa. I couldn't help noticing that South Africa and Joburg in particular got a lot of play in the media while I was away.  

Anthony Bourdain at Neighbourgoods
World-renowned chef, author and Emmy-winning television personality Anthony Bourdain visited South Africa in an episode of  CNN's "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown." (Vince has downloaded it for me, but I have yet to watch it.)

CNN Travel presented 10 Things to know before visiting South Africa. And CNN's Eatocracy blog posted a recipe for a South African Bobotie.
Conde Nast Traveler magazine published two articles in their October issue about Joburg's hip Maboneng precinct. Hayleigh Evans, co-owner of POPArt theatre (I simply must get there one of these days!), gave an insider's view on "My Johannesburg". And CN Traveler's recommended city breaks feature gave suggestions for 24 hours in Maboneng, Johannesburg.

Back in Joburg, the Times reported that the CBD has been given a thumbs up from the Lonely Planet travel publisher for its incredible makeover. And Johannesburg is going to be the first African city and the first city anywhere outside of Europe to be included in the In Your Pocket city guides, due for publication in February.

Joburg and South Africa are getter hotter by the minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment