Saturday, November 22, 2014

Abalone @ Panama Jack's

Down the road from the Royal Cape Yacht Club is a floating seafood restaurant called Panama Jack's. Our friend Diane describes it as "having a reputation." And indeed it looks like the kind of place that has probably seen one or two bar fights between salty dogs since its opening in 1989. I half expected the hostess who greeted us at the front door to have had an eye patch and a peg leg.






The thing is that every time we have driven past Panama Jack's leaving the yacht club, the joint has been packed. So we decided  to give it a try. And since I was looking for adventure, while we were at it I decided to try the fresh abalone. I was instructed by our waitress to go over to the tank and pick the one I wanted. So I did.






Then the cook prepared it perfectly with a garlic butter sauce. I have never had abalone before ... although Vince swears I did in New Zealand or Japan or somewhere exotic. But I would have remembered. It's good! In fact everything we ate at Panama Jack's was good.
SCA support staff with Diane, me and crew member Sophie Ciszek








And speaking of salty dogs, look who we ran into at Panama Jack's. Sophie Ciszek from Team SCA. It must have a reputation!

Just to be clear, I am not exactly recommending that you try Panama Jack's. Definitely not for a romantic evening anyway. (I did check it out on the Eat Out website and the reviews were decidedly mixed.) Enter at your own risk. But if you are looking for a good seafood dive with a bad reputation, this is your place. Aaargh.

No comments:

Post a Comment