Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Arusha Cultural Heritage Center

I bought so much stuff in Tanzania! So much for my new minimalist philosophy ...

I couldn't resist. Every lodge and tented camp had a gift shop. There were stands set up in all the Maasai villages. There were women's craft cooperatives in every small town. And the National Park gift shops had a large inventory too! What's a girl to do? Besides I was doing my part for the economy.




The ultimate Tanzanian shop had to be the Arusha Cultural Heritage Center just outside of Arusha on the road to Karatu. The Center was an art gallery as well as a mini-mall for all things Tanzanian.
There were Makonde carvings, Tingatinga paintings, batiks, and Maasai beaded crafts for sale - Ric bought some souvenirs. A recycled glass studio. A spice shop - Vince bought some coffee beans. A couple of great tee shirt and clothing shops - we all bought some tee shirts and I picked up a couple of kikoy scarves. There was an antique furniture shop downstairs with Zanzibari chests and doors as well as other pieces of wooden furniture. Very tempting, but I wanted to buy our Zanzibari  treasures in Zanzibar.

The best individual shop to me was the Maasai Center in its own little rondavel. Not only did they have beautifully made contemporary crafts and art, but they also stocked a large collection of pre-owned Maasai artifacts. Bingo!

I bought a pre-owned beaded belt, a crown, a cross necklace and a pair of earrings.
Vince bought a pre-owned beaded goatskin apron which we hung from a Maasai spear at home.


The Center also had a large fine jewelry counter in their main souvenir shop. Of course this being the source, they featured lots of tanzanite! I didn't really plan on buying any tanzanite but what can I say? I succumbed.

I passed on the set stones and bought a loose cabochon teardrop to bring back to Joburg and have made into a ring or a pendant at Tinsel.

The large art gallery was very interesting too. Along with the beautiful craft work and wood carvings on display there were fine paintings and bronze sculptures.

What a great spot!






No comments:

Post a Comment