Saturday, September 12, 2015

Walking with Maasai


The Tarangire Osupuko Lodge is a lovely safari lodge situated in the heart of Maasai country. "Osupuko" is a Maasai word meaning "natural paradise."

One of the many cultural activities they offered to guests was a chance to "Walk with the Maasai" and I took them up on it. The walk was a combination safari / cultural tour / nature walk.

The walk started before dawn (which is part of the reason why I walked alone!)















observing an elephant in a dry riverbed

Among the animals we spotted were elephants and giraffes, antelope and zebra, baboons and vervet monkeys.
















elephant track in the sand

the elephant makes a hole in the dry riverbed to find the water table below
draw

drink

repeat



My guides showed me how they make a fire. With only a stick and a plank of sandalwood.

















They showed me how they use the indigenous plants for natural remedies, salves and medicines.








And a few days later, I was able to put my new-found knowledge to the test when our friend Ric scraped his leg in Oldupai Gorge!





Feeling empowered, I came up with my own cure for the sprained ankle I suffered incorrectly hopping out of the truck on the rim in the Ngorongoro Crater! Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment